As much as 75% of our body is made up of water, making it one of the most essential elements in our makeup. We regularly lose moisture as we breathe, sweat and eliminate waste from the body. However, when the amount of moisture lost and taken in becomes out of balance, we may become dehydrated, which can have critical repercussions on a variety of our body’s functions.
Causes of Dehydration
There are several common ways in which we may lose more fluid than we take into our bodies:
- Illness – especially through diarrhea and vomiting. Regardless of the illness, whether from a virus such as the flu or another stomach upset like a hangover, significant fluids may be lost quickly. It is difficult to replace by drinking due to nausea.
- Excess perspiration – particularly when exercising in a dry, hot climate. A fever may also induce sweating which increases the chance of dehydration.
- Burns – either sunburns or other burns. Burn damaged skin cannot prevent fluid from seeping from the body as it should, and victims end up dehydrated.
- Uncontrolled Diabetes – High and low blood sugar levels may contribute to fluid loss. Elevated levels lead to excessive thirst and frequent urination. On the contrary, low blood sugar levels may lead to excessive perspiration and an inability to drink replacement fluids quickly enough.
Effects of Dehydration
Two of the first indicators of dehydration are thirst and a dry “cotton” mouth. As it progresses, the symptoms become more severe.
- Blood pressure – less fluid in the blood leads to lower pressure along with lightheadedness, especially when standing.
- Electrolyte imbalance – Irregularity in the salt levels in nervous tissues may lead to misfirings which present as muscle cramps and heart palpitations.
- Vomiting and Diarrhea – ironically, as dehydration progresses, the body pulls fluid from the skin to the internal organs, which flush the fluid out of the body in a vicious cycle.
At AuraSpa, we offer several water IV therapies to help reverse the effects of dehydration and return your body to a healthy, hydrated state. The IV process usually takes about an hour, and the different nutrient infusions help to revitalize you. Contact us today for your appointment.
Posted on behalf of
RoxSan Medical Building 465 N Roxbury Dr., Suite 755,
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
Phone: (310) 288-0641